Monday, June 9, 2014

Blueberry Picking + Blueberry Jam


There is nothing quite as nostalgic as Blueberry picking. I grew up taking field trips to places where I could pick fruits because not only was I homeschooled but my mom liked to make everything a memory (and she still does)! I also have been trying to make myself eat more fruits and veggies, so I figured a good way to do that was to make it fun from the beginning. Since I live in Florida the best way to stay alive while picking blueberries in June is to go before nine in the morning. That is precisely what we did.


We went to a local organic blueberry farm that also offered farm fresh eggs. A huge plus! With the summer coming my sister and I have been brain storming blog posts to write and one of them will be based on local finds. So this is one of our local finds posts. The address to the blueberry farm is below. There is the sweetest old lady who runs it and you won't be disappointed with the size of the farm or the amount of blueberries available. I will add that it is only open certain days of the week and certain hours. 

The Wagon Farm
When: June 1 through June 28th
Where: 14201 S.W. 16th Place, Ocala
Cost: $3 per pound
Info: 489-1441



Now I get to share with you guys the most fun part of my blueberry picking day! As soon as I got home I made the sweetest, simplest blueberry jam. It is perfect for toast or really anything at all (like pancakes, biscuits, cheese and crackers, goats cheese).


I didn't can mine, just stored it in a mason jar in the fridge for up to a month. You can also share with friends and family, I'm sure they won't hate your generosity!

Ingredients

  • 5 cups of blueberries
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions

  1. In a medium saucepan, combine the blueberries, sugar, lemon juice, and salt. Mash with a potato masher or wooden spoon until the berries have released their juices.
  2. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture has thickened, 18 to 25 minutes. Transfer to containers and refrigerate for up to 1 month or freeze for up to 1 year.
Adapted from Real Simple

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theme created by PIXEL HAZE DESIGNS